Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Resolutions and Dark Days

I picked five simple ones this year and my husband stealthily added three more to my list.  I have a few prayers for 2011 that I feel confident the Lord will answer because He has been in the business of answering a few of my prayers in 2010.  It was either 2009 or 2008 when I felt that, despite all my weekly fasting and praying, God wasn't hearing my prayers.  Bad things were happening to Christians all around me and I felt like an agnostic.  "God is real but He isn't intervening in this awful world," I thought.  I wanted to believe that when I died, I would just go to the grave and exist no more, just so that I wouldn't have to believe there is a hell and people I care about are headed there because they don't believe in Jesus.  Well, that may have been the darkest valley I ever went through in my Christian life.  I didn't want to go to my current church any more and I felt like praying was futile but I kept telling myself that "This is the life I have chosen.  I WILL confess in my heart that the Bible is true and, despite my very real doubts, I will tell my children and all around me that GOD IS GOOD even though I feel like He is uninvolved down here!
 
Well, the Lord honoured my mental tenacity.  He saw my weak and faltering faith and he "lifted my head!"  I can now say that I love going to my church.  He has answered a few of my prayers and I am more excited about my Christian life and the possibilities ahead of me than I may have ever been since my idealistic teenage years.  I feel that there are big things around the corner for Aaron and I and our kids and I know that, even if there aren't, and things continue much as they are now, that GOD IS STILL GOOD and I am seeing him at work in the lives of people around me in great ways.  The valley I experienced a couple of years ago was very bleak and at the time I shared my traitorous thoughts with no one.  My husband had no idea just how bleak my outlook was and I tried to keep a smile on my face despite my inner turmoil.  I am very confident that my Lord did not hold it against me.  In fact, He has blessed me for "keeping the faith" even when I felt like I had no faith left to keep.  HE IS GOOD!  I will bless His name at ALL TIMES!  "His praise shall continually be on my mouth!" (Psalm 34:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment