Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Music to my Soul

I have finally discovered my two biggest addictions - Facebook and music.  I need a new CD at least every other month.  I am up early most mornings and I cherish the time to play music without my children awake to talk over it.  It is good for my mental health.  I love to buy clothes, new or gently used, but given a choice, I would buy a new CD.  I write music too.  I have written over 30 songs and done an amateur recording of 12 of my songs at Revelation Sound studio.  Someday I hope to produce a CD in collaboration with 3 or 4 other musicians in my life but in the mean time, I like to support local artists like my sister and my brother-in-law and a guy named Jacob Moon from the KW area.  I love to write music and I know that a lot of my songs have a similar feel to them but I have a talented brother-in-law that I am hoping can jazz a few of them up for me.  I am going to soon be taking improv piano lessons from my favourite pianist EVER (after Bach and Mendelsohn and Beethoven- okay I like Tchaikovsky too).  I am so excited to learn from him.  If I learn to play half as well as him, I will have improved a great deal.  I was at a concert at his church the other day and he must have had to work or something because he showed up for just the last half hour of a two and a half hour concert and so someone else was playing the keyboards but when he finally sat down to the keyboards, I thought, "Okay, NOW, the musician has entered the house, people!"  Anyway, I haven't even asked him his last name yet.  He leads the choir at his church and I sing with them once a week but don't perform with them as I go to another church.  I have a musical admiration and envy of him.  I want to play like that!!  Well, I am so glad for the gift of music.  It has little practical purpose in life except to lift our spirits and draw us closer to God.  It's emotive power is astounding.  Sometimes we can't sit still listening to it.  Other times, we can't stop the tears that it evokes.  Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of beautiful music!

No comments:

Post a Comment